with special thanks to ilovefood.com.mt website
- 1 kg ripe tomatoes (with seeds removed)
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- Handful of basilico
- 3 teaspoons Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Fry the Onion in Olive Oil.
Add the chopped tomatoes.
Cook for 5 Minutes.
Pass the sauce through blender and cook on very low heat for 2 Minutes.
Add salt and pepper and cook for another 20 minutes.
Finally add the basilico which is finely chopped
Caper sauce for Fish
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. capers
- 1 tsp. chopped parsley
- Pepper to taste
Melt the butter. Add lemon juice, capers, parsley and seasonings. Heat until it is sizzling and then pour over steamed or baked fish.
Fresh pesto sauce
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
- 3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor. (If you are using walnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped, pulse them a few times first, before adding the basil.) Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.
- Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serve with pasta, or over baked potatoes, or spread over toasted baguette slices.
Chickpea & Black Olives Dip
1 x 400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
3tbsp. chopped parsley
100g (1/2 cup) black olives chopped
1 green garlic
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2tbsp olive oil
Place the chickpeas, olives, garlic, chili powder and oil in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl.
450g dried broad beans
2tsp. chopped parsley
1 garlic crushed
1 chili pepper
a dash of harissa
1 tbsp of mixed fresh mint, finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
Soak beans overnight replace water. add salt to taste bring to boil & simmer until beans are soft mash beans and place them in a serving dish Pour olive oil on top Add other ingredients to taste
Serve hot or hold