15 – Sir Patrick Grant
General Sir Patrick Grant
1804 – 1895
Governor of Malta 1867-1872
Sir Patrick Grant GCB (1804 – 11 September 1895) was a British field marshal.
He was the second son of Major John Grant,of the 97th Regiment of Foot, of Auchterblair, Invernessshire, where he was born.
He entered the Bengal Native Infantry as an ensign in 1820, and became captain in 1832. He served in Oudh from 1834 to 1838, and raised the Hariana Light Infantry. Employed in the adjutant-general’s department of the Bengal Presidency army from 1838 until 1854, he became adjutant-general in 1846. He served under Sir Hugh Gough at the battle of Maharajpur in 1843, winning a brevet majority, was adjutant-general of the army at the battles of Moodkee in 1845 (twice severely wounded), and of Ferozshah and Sobraon in 1846, receiving the CB and the brevet rank of lieutenant-colonel.
He took part in the battles of Chillianwala and Gujarat in 1849, gaining further promotion, and was appointed aide-de-camp to the queen. He served also in Kohat in 1851 under Sir Charles Napier. Promoted to major-general in 1854, he was commander-in-chief of the Madras army from 1856 to 1861. He was made KCB in 1857, and on General Anson’s death was summoned to Calcutta to take supreme command of the army in India.
From Calcutta he directed the operations against the mutineers, sending forces under Havelock and Outram for the relief of Cawnpore and Lucknow, until the arrival of Sir Colin Campbell from England as commander-in-chief, when he returned to Madras. On leaving India in 1861 he was decorated with the GCB. He was promoted lieutenant-general in 1862, was governor of Malta from 1867 to 1872, was made GCMG in 1868, promoted general in 1870, field marshal in 1883 and colonel of the Royal Horse Guards and gold-stick-in-waiting to the queen in 1885.
He married as his second wife, in 1844, Frances Maria, daughter of Sir Hugh (afterwards Lord) Gough.
He was governor of the Royal Hospital, Chelsea, from 1874 until his death there in 1895. He is buried in Brompton Cemetery, London.